Where to Ride – Wisconsin

Where to Ride – Wisconsin

Where to Ride Off-Highway and Dual Sport Motorcycles in Wisconsin

Single Track Motorcycle Trail:

Douglas County http://www.douglascountywi.org/index.aspx?NID=468

Clark County http://www.co.clark.wi.us/index.aspx?NID=227

Jackson County http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/index.as…7AE4CBC1F47%7D

Adams County (Dyracuse Recreation Area) http://www.townofrome.com/recreation…-rec-area-site

Kenosha County (Bong Recreation Area)

Other Trail Information:

DNR Off-Road Motorcycle Trails http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/activi…oadtrails.html

VVMapping On-Line Trail Guide http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/trailInfoWI.html

Trip Planner for ATV Trails

Travel Wisconsin (search for “motorcycle) http://www.travelwisconsin.com/

WATVA Trail System Info (contains contact info for trail systems) https://www.watva.org/index.php/Trails-by-County.html

Dual Sport and Events:

AMA District 16 Event Guide http://issuu.com/cycleusa/docs/d16eventguide14web

Wisconsin Area Rides and Events (Adventure Rider) http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201507

GPX Tracks to Download for Self-Guided Dual Sport Rides http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2

Important Information:

Always check to make sure the trails are open. Sometimes trails are closed for things like wet conditions, hunting, or maintenance. Verify before you go.

There can be some confusion as to what portions of a trail may be open to motorcycles. For example, the Oconto Country trail system does not allow motorcycles. However, the portions of the system that are in the National Forest do permit motorcycle use as USFS rules apply. Signage may not be clear in a case like this.

Some trails are open to dual sport motorcycles but not unlicensed OHM.

Some trails are open to motorcycles generally, but have short signed segments closed to motorcycles that interrupt using the entire trail. Marinette County is an example of where this is in place.

Generally, motorized trails in the National Forests are open to dual sport motorcycle use. Unlicensed OHM may be restricted where the trail joins a road where they may be prohibited.

USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) describe what forest paths are open to motorized travel during what dates. These can be found on the web page for the particular forest you are interested in.

Some counties open their forest roads to motorized travel. This will allow licensed dual sport motorcycles but may not allow unlicensed OHM.

Some ATV trails may allow licensed dual sport motorcycle use on their trails but not allow unlicensed OHMs.

Sometimes the rules change at the county line. When riding trails, make sure you know where you are and that you don’t stray onto trails that are not open to motorcycles.

Some counties require that you purchase a county permit to use their trails (Clark and Jackson as an example).

The point of all of this is that you must carefully check to be sure you are allowed on a particular trail with your conveyance and that the trail is otherwise open.

It is very difficult to keep the sources listed above current, so don’t accept that everything that is included there as being absolutely correct or current. A quick check of the web site or a phone call to the trail managers can verify what you need to know.

Eventually we will have a sticker program for motorcycles and trail use. This will lead to a more clearly defined catalog of riding opportunities.